Google has been finding a lot of patent applications for various aspects of these lenses and I have been tracking all these patterns recently. Google filed nine-time applications for Google lens in just one week. This basically means that Google is working really really hard on this product.
How these lenses are fabricated or they work or they communicate with your smartphone or they can be charged how they can be traded for a new user or they help you to measure and monitor various physiological parameters and also alleviate certain health conditions.
The smart contact lens from Google will look like any other normal contact lens.
How are theses lenses fabricated?
Now, let’s first look at the internal structure of the lens. The lens is formed by two exterior layers form using flexible plastics. The lens further includes transparent flexible electrodes form using carbon nanotubes, metal nanowires or conductive polymers.The various layers of Google’s smart contact lens are:
- LC (Liquid Crystal) layer is then deposited between the two electrodes and is actuated by voltages applied across these electrodes.
- The SE layer basically helps change the focal length of the lens if and when required.
- A Ring Substrate layer forms neck triple connections with connection tabs or fatigue electrodes. The ring substrate also includes a battery to power various components. The ring substrate further includes a controller circuit to control various electronic components such as sensors, electrodes, and the battery.
The contact lens is so close to the retina that the electronic components do not hinder vision. Further, all electronic components can be made using transparent materials.
What are challenges in making this lens?
One key technological challenge is natively charging them and Google has developed some very cool to heat to charge them continuously using photodiodes. Photodiodes are disposed over the outer surface of the contact lens and these photodiodes can harvest optical signals emitted from a smartphone and generate power from them. The power wasted using topical signals by the user may also look at other light sources like a tube light. Similarly, radio the harvesting can also be used to charge the lens.
How are these Contact Lens smart?
Until now it is not very clear what makes these lenses smart. Well, these lenses can communicate with your smartphone and this is essentially what makes them smart. Photodiodes employed for charging the lens can also be used to receive optical communication from the smartphone. Further, reflectors or LEDs placed over the lens are employed to send optical communication back to the smartphone. All optical communication is carried using light which is invisible to the human eye such as infrared rays. Similarly, RF communication may also be used by placing RF antennas on the lens.
How they communicate with your smartphone?
Google has disclosed many health-related applications for these lenses. The lens carries various types of sensors to measure the concentration of certain chemicals in the tears of the eye. This information is then conveyed via optical communication to the smartphone.
A smartphone app from Google, let’s say “my lens” app receives this information and displays it in a user readable format. Users may click on health tab to monitor various easy logical parameters. For example, users can check their glucose levels, this will help people suffering from diabetes to avoid sugar level checkup. It can also monitor a temperature of the body and blood alcohol content. So, it might help combat drunk driving.
The user may click on the pollution tab on the app to monitor pollutants in the vicinity. The app shows the levels of various pollutants like drawers or tree pollen, dust, mite, excretions, and other chemical and microbiological hazards. This can help in preventing the spread of infectious diseases or even allows the user to seek urgent medical attention before the condition worsens with increasing pollution in cities.
How they monitor physiological parameters?
The smart contact lens is providing many strategies to tackle health-related issues. The lens contains various sensors to measure the content of sugar in the body and resolve some eye power issues.
- That’s true, Google is tackling growing diabetes. The problem which now affects one in every 19 people on the planet. By developing a contact lens with a tiny chip sensor which can monitor the glucose levels in the wearer’s tears. The project is still in a very early phase but it’s far enough along to make one wonder what else a contact lens could monitor someone’s high blood pressure.
- Presbyopia can also be tackled with the lens. Presbyopia is a progressive age-related loss of focusing strength of the eye which results in increased blurred and new distances. Presbyopia affects nearly 1.7 billion people worldwide. Today, Google’s smart contact lenses can help restore the autofocus capability of the eye of every user suffering from presbyopia.
For example, with Project Glass and now Smart Contact Lenses, Google is definitely trying to mold the future of eyewear to be for more than just helping us see clearly.
How are these lens beneficial?
Across the world, this application could be very useful while shopping.
- The user may click on the barcode reader tab on the app this feature will help people read the barcodes on various products.
- Similar to biometric transactions, instead of a fingerprint it can scan the iconography and verify transactions.
- Also, these lenses can be used to track and monitor various health parameters but can it be used to alleviate certain health conditions.
The google has found some awesome use of this lens.
- You and I can adjust is its focal distance to maintain focus on objects of varying distance. This is accomplished by controlled contractions of the ciliary muscle but as an individual age, the effectiveness of the ciliary muscle degrades.
Let us know in the comment section, how many of you will like to try this product(Google’s Smart Contact Lens) whenever it will be available in the market.